We have seen a lot of articles in newspapers, magazines and on television last year, talking about the plummeting price of breast surgery. “Anyone can get them now,” the media told us, “even a grandmother on a limited income can afford it!”
What will you get for your money?
Over the last couple of years, we’ve seen an explosion of cheap cosmetic surgery clinics in Australia with some of these being owned and run by business entrepreneurs and not doctors. So, the primary aim of such clinics is to make money for their business owners, and they achieve this goal by cutting back on their costs in various ways which can seriously compromise patient comfort and safety:
• Typically, their “surgeons” are doctors with little or no qualifications or formal training in cosmetic breast surgery. In 2017, one such business model was offering ultra-cheap breast augmentations in unlicensed premises under Sedation Anaesthesia with high doses of Local Anaesthetics to keep the patients still during their surgery. Unfortunately, there were a number of patients transferred to Emergency suffering cardiac arrests and convulsions due to the high doses of local anaesthetics used. The business owners and doctors involved are now the subject of a class action by more than 1,000 women alleging negligence and serious complications!
• Breast implants vary considerably in cost. Always check the brand and properties of the implants you’re being offered. Cut-price clinics don’t use the more-expensive implants because they cost more.
If the above isn’t enough to make you think twice about where to go for your surgery, consider that their “surgeons” are under pressure to perform as many breast augmentations as they can in any one day.
How does this differ from high-quality Cosmetic Surgery?
High-standard Breast Augmentation is very different in the following ways:
- The surgery is performed by a doctor highly experienced in Cosmetic Breast Surgery.
- The surgery is performed in a Licensed Hospital.
- The procedure is performed under General Anaesthesia, thereby avoiding the risks of toxicity from excessive doses of Local Anaesthetic.
- The procedure is performed meticulously and never rushed.
- Your doctor is available 24/7 after your surgery and sees you at scheduled intervals until you are discharged by them.
While some clinics have joined the price war to keep attracting patients, it’s a sad truth that no one can continue to offer great quality surgery at bargain basement prices. Naturally, ultra-cheap breast augmentation clinics need to ‘cut some corners’ to remain profitable and that’s where outcomes and patient safety could be compromised.
So, if you are considering Breast Augmentation, it’s well worth saving up or borrowing the extra money to ensure you get the best possible care before, during and after your surgery!